Everybody Luke Chung Tonight Stereo Central
Everybody Luke Chung Tonight

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new fucking protractor is here! I'm somebody!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stereo Central Forum Index -> Tube Rolling in the Glory Hole
View previous topic :: View next topic  
COLA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: The new fucking protractor is here! I'm somebody! Reply with quote

Finally! Now my test disc will sound 0.00000000013% more accurate.

This guy has nearly 2K poats and not a single one of them appears to be about music.

How much do you think he spent on this claptrap?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=255506

Puma Cat wrote:
My Uni-Protractor arrived today....setup photos included

After many months of waiting and some shipping snafus, I finally recevied my Uni-Protractor today for cartridge setup today.

As this is a precision made product from Germany, the quality of the construction are excellent, with one caveat I will touch on later.

The materials are well-packed in plenty of foam with custom cutouts. Assembing the protractor fairly straightforward, with the instructions being reasonably good, but not superb. The vernier adjustment for each protractor template (e.g. each geometry or arm) is way cool, and allows very precise geometry adjustment per the needs of each protractor.

I ordered one SME V protractor, and a DIN and IEC protractor for both Baerwald and Stevenson, for a total of five protractors. The protractors are made of mirror backed acrylic, with laser etched alignment lines which are made with excellent precision with respect to the parallel and perpindicular lines. The acrylic arm that sets offset comes with a pointed tip pin, or a rounded tip pin with two reticles, one black and one white, to be used depending on the color of your arm.

Below are some pix of protractor and it's setup:
The protractor plate, arm template, and spindle plug. Each plug inserts into the arm template, but has slightly different spindle I.D. to ensure a snug fit with your spindle. This ensures precision geometry with respect to the positioning of the template.

The vernier adjuster that optimally positions the template for a specific arm or geometry.

The assembled protractor with the spindle to pivot arm and reticle.

Closeup of the reticle and arm:

As the SME has a peaked, triangular shaped bridge over the pivot point and makes it difficult to keep the adjustment arm perfectly centered over this pointed "roof", I removed it and decided to use the pointed alignment pin:

The screw here is directly over the pivot point of the arm.

Here is the pointed pivot pin being aligned with the pivot point; apologies for the motion blur, the shutter speed was low, but you get the idea. I had to spend a while ensuring the pointed tip was perfectly centered, which it is not in this pic:

And here is the final setup, which the arm/cart in position on the template, the magnifying glass in place to check the position of the stylus on the template:

The one caveat I have is the that templates are made from acrylic, and in the process of moving the stylus around on the template to get it to fit perfectly into the very small indentation that represents the perfect alignment and position of the stylus in the template, the diamond stylus scratches up the template a bit, which might make it hard to ensure that the desired stylus indentation stays perfectly intact, or that your stylus does not get caught in the template that might have a scracth on it.

I will post impressions as I get some listening in on it with this setup.

Hardlimited

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The new fucking protractor is here! I'm somebody! Reply with quote

COLA wrote:
How much do you think he spent on this claptrap?

The listing at Audiogonorrhea would imply that's he's blown $798 plus $69 for an additional template, for a total of $867 (with free shipping!), which seems quite stiff even if it is in puny American dollars.
IMAHO
xcentric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand brain and penis
Align continuously
Hardware software match
Dave D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet my Dual 510 that I paid $2 for at a garage sales sounds just as good without having to spend $800.

"Can you define the word panned when it comes to audio?"

"Can you or someone else please explain saturation, as it pertains to sound and Revolver?"

-George P (pseudo-Audiophile and all around dickhead!)
Brick Wall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We taped a nickel on top of the tonearm. Net cost 5.00000114 including the Scotch Tape.
We also used to walk to school. Uphill. Both ways.
Audiogirl - "Steven filled out the midrange hole (as he likes to say) a tiny bit in his mastering of I Can Hear Music. The Japanese compact disk version is straight, lacking a bit in the middle but interesting to hear as it is the way it was originally created."

Your Host - "You've learned much, wifehopper. 1@6, 1@3400."

- Notes from a passive-aggressive, narcissistic, unstable, arrogant cunt
krabapple

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who gets excited about protractors?

Wagimawr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...what does this very expensive thing do again?
giblets

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagimawr wrote:

You tie it to the end of your cock then throw it over a bridge railing.
Cellphone Waveform

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giblets wrote:
Wagimawr wrote:

You tie it to the end of your cock then throw it over a bridge railing.

In the case of a lot of these phools, there won't be enough slack to make a knot.
Men's Recovery Project

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no matter what, the alignment is only correct twice per side.

Also, the SME has one of the easiest, best alignment protractors available, included free with the arm.

But god forbid we trust them. After all their arm is literally unlistenable with the stock cable, purred the cat last year.
Dave D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can you define the word panned when it comes to audio?"

"Can you or someone else please explain saturation, as it pertains to sound and Revolver?"

-George P (pseudo-Audiophile and all around dickhead!)
Remaster Bates
Mafia Don

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men's Recovery Project wrote:

Also, the SME has one of the easiest, best alignment protractors available, included free with the arm.

But god forbid we trust them. After all their arm is literally unlistenable with the stock cable, purred the cat last year.

KT88?
Steve Hoffman - You guys really disappoint me sometimes. I have to remember that you're not real friends and this is just the Internet. That's the way of the world I guess. Remind me not to count on you for anything.

nbakid2000 - As a taxpayer, I own that CD. I payed for it with my taxes, therefore if I want to rip it, there's no difference because the label already made money on it from my taxes. If i want to rip it, it's the same as listening to the CD as if I had it checked out.
sparkydog1725

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagimawr wrote:

Accidentally rips off your stylus, but in a very precise manner?
COLA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did Puma Cat ever get an accurate measure of the degree of his bent dick with that fancy protractor or not?
Men's Recovery Project

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remaster Bates wrote:
Men's Recovery Project wrote:

KT88?

I think he sells Rega but not SME. Rega uses a one point protractor designed to minimize inner groove distortion rather than minimize the average distortion across the side (perfectly reasonable choice).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stereo Central Forum Index -> Tube Rolling in the Glory Hole All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: